- Selection of proper material of construction for a new vessel/reactor, and modification.
- Proper design and fitting of vessel/reactor as per standard codes. Small bath size desirable.
- Operating conditions at less pressure, temperature, flow, slow reaction rate and less hazards desirable.
- Condition monitoring and pressure testing of vessels and equipment.
- Safety fittings like Pressure gauge, Temperature gauge, Rupture disc, Level indicator, Non return valve, Excess flow valve, interlocks, alarm and trips. Flameproof fitting where required.
- Safe operating procedure and safe close down procedure displayed for operator.
- Batch sheet design and full filling with details.
- Fire fighting equipment.
- Use of personal protective equipment.
- Open space maintenance space and leakage checking.
- Scrubber connections and scrubber working.
- Safe columns, condensers, receivers and vent and safety valve for distillation process.
- Auto and manual devices to stop heating, charging etc, and quenching or safe transfer of material in case of emergency.
- Close transfer/charging of hazardous material.
- Local exhaust ventilation on toxic material charging, transfer and filling/packing.
- Double earthing and static charge eliminator where required viz. Solvent in a glasslined vessel.
- Proper piping and colour code.
- Checking of proper O2/N2 lines and cylinders to avoid accident.
- Use of safety work permit.
- Machine guarding for drives, pumps etc.
Checkpoints for Pollution Control
(A) Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP)
- NOC and comment from Pollution control board.
- Norms suggested by Pollution control board like pH, BOD, COD, Oil & grease, Colour odour, suspended solid, total dissolved solid, heavy metals etc. Fill the format of logbook.
- Norms prescribed under the Factories Act (Schedule-2). Fill the format.
- Drawing approval of ETP.
- Continuous operation of ETP.
- Primary and secondary treatment plants.
- Continuous monitoring of parameters for final discharge from factory premises.
- Whether pollutant being discharged above prescribed limit?
(B) Gas Emission/Leak Control
- NOC and consent from Pollution control board.
- List emission/leaking points, pollutants and their prescribed limits.
- Selection of proper scrubbing media.
- Proper design and continuous working of scrubbers/flare/incinerator etc.
- Final vent gas detector with alarm and discharge valve.
- Whether pollutant being discharged.
Saurabh Ranjan is Founder of rlshumancare.com. I have dedicated & committed to publishing some innovative content and useful topics regarding Health, Safety & Environment, which will help and awareness to people for daily life. Also trying to continually improve my content for better awareness and suit to dedicated people.