Material Safety data Sheet (MSDS)
Format of MSDS:
For proper identification of material hazards a material safety datasheet should be prepared and supplied with each chemical so that its safety precautions can be well understood. A specimen from is given below:
- Name of Chemical
- Trade name
- Chemical Classification
- Regulated identification
- Shipping Name, Code/Label
- CAS No.
- UN No.
- ADR No.
- Hazard (EAC) No.
- Hazardous waste ID No.
- Hazardous Ingredients and CAS No.
Physical & Chemical data:
- Appearance, State, Odour etc.
- Specific gravity (Water=1)
- Vapour density (air=1)
- Boiling point
- Melting/Freezing point
- Vapour pressure
- Solubility in water
- Scrubbing/Neutralising/Inactivating media
Fire & Explosion Hazard data:
- Flash point
- Auto ignition Temperature
- Flammable limits: LEL/UEL
- TDG Flammability
- Explosion Sensitive to Impact
- Explosive material
- Flammable material
- Combustible and flammable Liquid
- Pyrophoric material
- Hazardous Combustible products
- Hazardous Polymerisation
- Corrosive material Organic Peroxide
- Chemical stability
- Incompatibility (Materials to avoid)
- Hazardous reaction products
Health Hazard Data:
- LC50 or LD50
- Odour threshold
- Carcinogen? Poison? Liberates poisonous lume?
- Rules of entry
- Body parts that may be affected
- Effects of exposures and symptoms
- Emergency and first aid treatment
- Engineering controls necessary for safe handling
- NFPA Hazard signals
- Special Health hazards
- Ventilation required and type
- Personal protective equipment required and type
- Handling and storage precautions
Emergency and First-aid Measure:
- Steps to be taken in case material is released or spilled.
- Waste disposal method for solid, liquid and gaseous waste.
- Fire extinguishing media, special procedures and Unusual hazards.
- Exposure – First-aid measure, Antidotes dosages.
- Name of Firm
- Mailing address
- Contact person in emergency
- Local bodies involved
- Standard packing
- Term-card Details