Gas line safety
- Only the minimum number of required people to stay near the location of the job. Fire tenders and ERT personnel to be stationed at a distance.
- Any job on the gas line flanges should be initiated only after isolating (U Seals/ Blanking), depressurizing and purging the line with inert media (Nitrogen).
- The owner agency should ensure the continuous water flow from the U-Seal over-flow line.
- If entry of a person inside a gas line is required, trapped N2 of the line should be purged out with air (with the help of suitable mechanical means e.g. portable compressor or exhaust fan) till O2 is restored above 19.6 %.
- In no case, should any person enter inside a CO gas line.
- Check for any possible presence of ignition source in the vicinity before working on a flange. All persons working on a flange for blanking / de-blanking job should wear fire-retardant cloths.
- Non-sparking / non-ferrous tools to be used for creating gap between the flange joints to eliminate chances of FIRE. While blanking / de-blanking, plenty of water should be sprayed over the flange joint.
- While blanking/de-blanking or working on Flange joints or carrying out a Hot work, the safety harness should not be anchored to ensure the quick exit in case of a fire.
- During the dismantling of CO Gas pipes, open ends of the dismantled pipes should be covered tightly with wet ceramic cloth to avoid any cross ventilation triggering the pyrophoric fire. The muck/deposit inside the pipe should be kept in wet condition by spraying water to avoid fire.
- In case of hot work, it should be ensured that the gas pipeline has been completely purged and there a positive pressure inside the pipe using nitrogen to avoid ingress of oxygen leading to fire/explosion.
- Drip pots and nearby gas line flange joints should be covered with Clay and wet ceramic cloth and no flammable material should be kept nearby the working area. However, this activity may not ensure avoidance of fire. To ensure that there is no fire due to gas leakage, the working agency should ensure
hat all joints are leak proof by checking with CO Detectors and if leaks are detected, inform the gas line owner.
- There should not be any leftover fire, smoke, flame, gas line muck, dismantled pipe etc present at the site after completion of the job.